Product design typically refers to the process of an effective generation and evolution of ideas which leads to the invention of new advanced industrial products. Those who are engaged in product design conceptualize certain ideas and make them tangible by inventing new products through a systematic approach. Today, there are several digital tools that enable these industrial designers to communicate, conceptualize industrialproductmarketing, and then evaluate concepts in a much more convenient and quicker way. Although product design and industrial design are often used interchangeably, it basically refers to the process which helps attribute an artistic form and function in any craft design when mass production of goods occur.
Steps Involved in Product Design:
* First analyze the problem at hand without considering the solutions. Writing down the problem is the best way to get down to designing a solution for it.
* Write down all the requirements needed for creating a product. These may include the retail price, the object size, features of the product in question (like whether it needs to be waterproof or whether it needs to have batteries to work, and so on). This list helps the industrial designers to generate new ideas for the products.
* Brainstorming session follows where the ideas are sketched out and elaborated upon. The drawings may not be perfect. These are only made to investigate the designs for any flaws. The industrial designers at this stage interact with their clients to discuss ideas and you may not sign a contract with them for such services rendered.
* When a good idea evolves, you need to discuss it in details with the product design team. The industrial designers usually create a three-dimensional design on computers which shows the design in details. At this stage, the idea is either accepted or rejected.
* Once the concept has been finalized, the industrial designers next create three-dimensional models of all component parts, elaborate on design problems, make drawings for assembly of each part, and locate suppliers for the purchased components.
* Finally, the product design is subjected to testing where the product may be sent to few clients for feedback or to a laboratory for professional testing. Ideally, those not a part of the process should be asked to test the product to render an unbiased opinion.
* In the end, the design once approved is sent for manufacturing in facilities determined by your industrial designers.
Industrial design is essentially a blend of applied art and sciences in which the usability of products, ergonomics of using them, and their aesthetics can be enhanced to boost sales. The industrial designers seek to create and execute solutions for marketing and brand-development purposes by working on the form and usability of certain products. When you design a new invention, it is an eureka moment in history because it is perhaps the most ingenious and rewarding ways to earn money. Designing inventions mean finding a niche or discovering a need – coming up with something to make human lives better and qualitatively superior. Product design companies are here for this reason to turn something like an abstract notion into a real item for use. This prototype next gets designed through industrial design processes to make it both durable and logical.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6476895